Friday, February 22, 2008

Brits sent packing

They were all square at halfway, but Cink took the lead for good with a birdie at the par-five 10th and pulled away, rolling in a 15-footer at the 16th hole to deliver the final blow, winning emphatically four and two.Montgomerie certainly sounded demoralized as he blamed his exit on mediocre putting, saying: "I had chances on 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 and missed them all.
"He putted very well. He even said he got lucky on a few of his putts and I was unlucky."
Cink added: "Sometimes you can't explain golf."I didn't really feel I had control of my ball today off the tee and I think Colin would agree with that."It was ugly but I scrambled my rear end off and made a lot of good putts. Sometimes when you're hitting it all over the place and recovering well and making a few putts, it's demoralising to your opponent, and I think that's what happened."Meanwhile, Casey trailed all the way, but at least made a match of it, extending KJ Choi to the very end before the Korean prevailed two-up.The only European through to the quarter-finals is defending champion Henrik Stenson, who survived another tight battle.Less than 24 hours after being taken to seven extra holes, Stenson got the job done in regulation, but only just, edging American Jonathan Byrd one-up.Stenson has won all three of his matches by the narrowest of margins and said: "I've managed to get out of a few situations Houdini-style."Of course, you don't want to put yourself, coming up 18, all square too many times, because sooner or later you're going to lose a match.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=641054d9dbc89d03f8e9dcdf30ec9f3a